Wecome to Christine Falk - Pen in Hand

Here you will find up to date news and information about my writing including excerpts from my novel, poetry, articles and reveiws.

Thursday 9 June 2011

Agoraphobic speaks up

June 8th I was one of eight poets honoured to read their poetry at McMullen Gallery at the University of Alberta Hospital.  This event was hosted by The Friends of the University and by Shirley Serviss who is the Staff Literary Artist on the Wards.  Friends of University Hospital is a nonprofit organization driven by a combination of staff and volunteers.  Winning poetry selections are also put on display in the U of A Hospital.
As I am a person who suffers anxiety in the face of public speaking I feel I got through my first ever poetry reading fairly well.  The audience was not too big and my wonderful cousin Stewart provided much needed moral support & a little comic relief.  Thanks so much again Stewart.  Thanks also to Shirley, the Friends of the University, and to the judges.  I look forward to the next competition and to the opportunity to improve as a writer and in public speaking.
Poetry winners were each awarded a gift certificate to use on a purchase from the Friends Gift Shop. Already an Al Brant fan it was an easy decision to get a copy of his CD "Songs for the Early Morning Sun", that's just smart shopping.  I also bought a silk scarf before seeking out the assistance of a hospital employee to help me find my car. 
It was a good day overall, both inspiring and wonderful to be a part of.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations. That must have been a wonderful experience. :o)

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete