Wecome to Christine Falk - Pen in Hand

Here you will find up to date news and information about my writing including excerpts from my novel, poetry, articles and reveiws.

Monday 1 July 2013

Canadian Content

There are so many people and places that when I think of them; I think of Canada. Even today as Canada suffers her falls from grace and other nations satirize her current leadership, I still see reason to celebrate. Canada has marvellous history and is full of great people; working for improved change, creating understanding, entertaining and awakening. Today I invite you to celebrate the Canadian business persons, the Canadian researchers, the Canadian visionaries, the Canadian film makers, musicians, authors, & artists. Canada is unique in so many ways and I see much beauty within her borders. My parents and my grand parents instilled within me an enormous sense of patriotism.
It was my mother who awakened me to the Group of Seven and the magnificence of Emily Carr. This is a poem about Emily Carr; one of the many amazing Canadians who I find influence in.

 

Emily in The Woods


Faces in the deep and darkest woods,
a ghostly haunting of coastal energy
vanished in the still of the branches.
Ages danced into the stirring press of waves.
Totems and timbers and time,
all ancient,
full of chanting wisdom
and a memory deeper than ancestral tribal tales.
Fiercely as if beckoned by their whispers,
shared of branch and breeze,
Emily roams into the carved smiles of history
and wonders how to paint their eyes
and their ancestral stories
with the same uncivilized brush.
In the presence of the towering forest
she an obedient yet unrelated messenger.
We should then speak commonly
of the mighty things that humble us.
We should then speak often
of forceful timbers carved by the hands of time lost
and the silent artist
consumed by her place in the living relics.

Ó Christine Falk
Ó Emily Carr

No comments:

Post a Comment