Wecome to Christine Falk - Pen in Hand

Here you will find up to date news and information about my writing including excerpts from my novel, poetry, articles and reveiws.

Sunday 9 March 2014

Marketable Me

So after 28 years of running a successful and diverse business that started out small and grew to be the heart of the High Street community my boss, Suzanne Davis, has made the decision to retire and close her store, Notables. She is  happy for what lies ahead and is recieving much support from her friends and the business community she has been such a big part of.
What is this to me? I and others of the skilled and devoted employees are now facing re-entry into the job market. Some part time and some full time, some relatively new to the team and some who have been in the Notables family for over a decade. For us it feels like family, there is genuine heart, and now we will all be parting. On to new jobs, it feels a little like we might not find anything so fine as what we are leaving as the store closes at the end of May.
I began working here in August of 2011. I remember all the time and effort it took to find new work, not just a job but a place to fit well into and feel appreciated at. Here I go again but I have written on this topic in the past.
In light of the current status I am sharing the following article I wrote on the interview process and how to prepare for job interviews. I will be taking my own advice as I seek my new adventure and hope it can be a help for my coworkers and to anyone else facing the stresses and joys of job seeking.
CF

 ______________________________________________
Interview Hints & Tips
Interviewing for a job can be a daunting endeavour. It is Important to make a good impression and to articulate what you hope to gain and what you have to offer a potential new employer. Here are a few helping hints to guide you to make good interview choices before, during, and after the meeting.
DO

Be on time
Be friendly and professional
Actively listen to what is being said to you and questions being asked
Respond to questions clearly, briefly and positively
Try to relate your comments and responses to the needs of the position you are applying for
Ask questions that are relevant and showcase your knowledge and skills that relate to the job
At the end of the interview re-state your interest in the position and thank the interviewer for their time
DON'T
Slouch, mumble, or fidget
BEFORE THE INTERVIEW
When preparing for interview there are a few things to do in preparation that can help you achieve your job placement goals. Plan what questions you will ask the interviewer and anticipate what questions the interviewer will ask and how you will answer. Before the interview review the job requirement and the information that you have provided on your resume so that the information is fresh in your mind.
SOME INTERVIEW QUESTIONS YOU MAY BE ASKED
“tell me about yourself?”
“tell me about a time when you had a conflict with a co-worker and how you resolved it?”
“tell me about a successful project that you were proud to have completed?”
“tell me about a time when you were asked to do something but you did not have all the instructions?”
SOME QUESTIONS YOU MIGHT WANT TO ASK
“why has this position become available?”
“will I be working mostly with a team or on my own?”
“does this company provide benefits, if so what is covered?”
“what equipment would I be using in this position?”
“what are the most important skills I need for this position?”
Being prepared to ask and answer these types of questions helps the interview go smoothly and reduce your stress as you talk about yourself and why you choose to apply for the job. Good preparation will allow you to be calm and relaxed.
Also ask the interviewer how long you might expect to wait before hearing from them after the interview. All of this information is designed to help you to be more confidant and in control and increase you chances of success.
_____________________________________________



No comments:

Post a Comment